The Office of Human Resources at NSC is responsible for ensuring that the College is in compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Director of Human Resources & Affirmative Action creates and monitors the NSC Affirmative Action Plan and implements innovative programs to increase the College's awareness of and commitment to diversity, equity, and affirmative action in the workplace. HR is dedicated to preventing illegal discrimination and illegal harassment. Through educational programs, investigations and resolution of complaints, and oversight activities, HR strives to foster and maintain an environment and culture that supports all members of the community. HR's commitment is shared by NSC's leadership at all levels throughout the institution.
- Diversity is not defined exclusively by race or gender. It extends to age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, physical and mental ability and national origin or ancestry. It also includes the richness that each individual brings to the workplace based on his or her own unique experiences and attributes.
- Diversity among staff, students and faculty contributes to the richness of the College community and offers Nevada State an opportunity to realize its excellence.
- Diversity is fostered by a culture that respects individual differences and where everyone is treated with courtesy and consideration.
- Freedom of expression is a core value, but must be exercised within the bounds of courtesy, sensitivity and respect.
- Affirmative action is one method of including historically underrepresented populations into the workforce. Therefore Nevada State must develop an institutional philosophy based on the principles and ideals of affirmative action and an appreciation of a diverse workforce where members are able to succeed according to their abilities.
- Affirmative action does not require, and does not mean, quotas or preferment of unqualified over qualified individuals.
- Increase diversity in the workforce through the application of affirmative action principles in the College's staffing processes.
- Promote equal opportunity and equitable and non-discriminatory treatment for all campus community members in all aspects of employment and education through the development and implementation of effective complaint and investigative procedures and through ongoing monitoring of employment practices.
- Through education, training and rapid response to complaints, ensure that the NSC community is free of illegal harassment.