Assistant Professor of Law Enforcement
Ph.D. Criminal Justice, Sam Houston State University
B.A. Law Enforcement and Police Science, Sam Houston State University.
Location: LAS Building, Office 165
Phone: (702) 992-2676
Dr. Hignite joined the NSC faculty in 2012. As a generalist in criminal justice, Dr.
Hignite teaches courses such as Criminology, Research Methods, Victimology, Police
Systems, Organized Crime, and International Criminal Justice. His research interests
include issues related to homelessness, evaluating the effectiveness of criminal justice
programs such as drug courts, fear of crime, and specific types of offenders and their
punishments (especially DWI offenders, sex offenders, gang members, and hate crime
Dr. Hignite enjoys working with students and providing exciting and valuable learning opportunities both inside and outside of the classroom. To give students additional experience with topics related to criminal justice, he previously set up programs that involve students in internships, volunteer work with homeless or at-risk youth, and study abroad programs that included trips to England, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, and Italy.
Outside of work, Dr. Hignite loves soccer, fishing, kayaking, and hiking around Lake Mead.
- CRJ 104 Introduction to Administration of Justice
- CRJ 270 Criminology
- CRJ 301 Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- CRJ 326 Vice, Drugs, and the Law
- CRJ 409 Youth, Crime, and Society
- CRJ 450 Seminar in Criminal Justice
- CRJ 463 Victimology
- CRJ 491 Internship in Criminal Justice
- Hignite, L., Yao, R., Brautbar, S. & Herlands Cresiski, R. (2015). Internships for Credit: A Unique and Effective Model for Mentoring High-Risk Students. In Dominguez, N. & Gandert,Y. (Eds.). 8th Annual Mentoring Conference Proceedings: New Perspectives in Mentoring: A Quest for Leadership Excellence & Innovation. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico.
- Hignite, L. & Kellar, M. (2014). “Day Fines.” In The Encyclopedia of Criminal Justice and Criminology, Albanese, J. (Ed). Blackwell Publishing Ltd. Online ISBN: 9781118517383.
- Kellar, M. & Hignite, L. (2014). “Chemical Castration.” In The Encyclopedia of Criminal Justice and Criminology, Albanese, J. (Ed). Blackwell Publishing Ltd. Online ISBN: 9781118517383.