Dear Nevada State Community,
Today I am keeping our undocumented students & staff whose lives have been upended once more by yesterday’s DACA decision close to my heart. All our community members regardless of their immigration status deserve to feel safe, deserve to pursue their dreams, deserve to live full lives free from these uncertainties. This decision spotlights the urgent need for a pathway to citizenship for undocumented communities.
Yesterday the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals decided on the Texas v. United States Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) case. The court decided that DACA is unlawful, however it remains in place for now. The case was sent to a lower court for review and we’re prepared to provide updates when the next decision is made. Learn more about the DACA Update at Informed Immigrant.
At this time, current DACA recipients are encouraged to continue renewing their DACA. New DACA applications are not currently being processed.
To our UndocuScorpions, know that your campus community stands with you. While many of us may not understand the full weight of all that you carry day in and day out to pursue your education, know that we see you and we admire your tenacity, spirit, and fire.
Whatever comes, know that we will be standing alongside you to fight with you.
- Undocumented Student Program: Mariana Sarmiento-Hernandez: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Counseling Services: Annise Prewitt: email@example.com
- DACA Renewal Funds: Make the Road NV
- DACA Renewal Assistance: Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Angie Corona at 702-386-1473. Students should leave a voicemail with their name and phone number. LACSN will call the student back within 24 business hours.
- Show Your Support by sharing these resources with your students.
- Stand in solidarity by printing and displaying the following poster in your classroom.
- Register for our upcoming UndocuAlly Training: Careers & Professional Licensing for Undocumented Students at bitly/undocuallynsc
- Donate to DACA renewal funds: Make the Road NV & Dream Big
Dr. DeRionne Pollard