Each student will face a number of challenges throughout their college journey. We want these challenges to be a positive part of the learning experience, giving our students the opportunity to develop important critical thinking skills and building their confidence. We also want students to know that they do not need to face these challenges alone. Our rich array of academic support services provides students with professional and peer support that is tailored to their specific needs, demonstrates proven benefits for students at all levels, and instills in them a greater capacity to overcome any academic obstacle on their own.
1. Provide in-person and online/remote academic tutoring services to students at all stages of their journey.
2. Offer targeted workshops to classes that apply to current assignments and class objectives.
3. Offer embedded peer support using Course Assistants in gateway classes, Embedded Support Specialists in classes with high DFWI rates, and Writing Specialists in Writing Intensive classes.
4. Train our Tutors, Writing Specialists, and Peer Mentors regularly on best practices in peer support.
5. Develop processes and relationships that maximize the utilization of academic support services, including strong connections with academic faculty and the advising center.
6. Utilize early alerts to identify students facing challenges and direct them to the relevant academic support resources.
7. Integrate information literacy into all courses, giving students a foundation in how to locate and evaluate information.