Services Available for Current Students
When you make an appointment or attend an event, Career Services can assist you with every point of your career journey including:
- Exploration: Exploring Careers, Exploring Nevada State Majors
- Application Material Review: Resumes/CV, Cover Letters, Reference Pages
- Interviewing Skills: Best Interview Practices, Mock/Simulation Interviews with Real-Time Feedback
- Job Searching: Where to find positions (Handshake & LinkedIn), on-campus job search
- Networking: Creating LinkedIn account, understanding how to network
- Reviewing/Negotiating Jobs: Reviewing benefits packages, negotiating salary/perks
- General Career Finances: Understanding how to budget with your salary/income, understanding your loan payments with your salary/income (for specific questions on paying back student loans, please speak to the Financial Aid Office)
- Hands-On Learning: Searching & Applying for Internships & Volunteer roles
- Grad / Pre-Professional School: Reviewing and comparing programs, understanding program prerequisites, how to get letters of recommendation
- …and more! Just let us know what we can help you with.
Come See Us!
Spring 2023 Hours
Starting Tuesday January 17th, appointments can be made via zoom or in-person in RSC 128 (down hallway across from bookstore) depending on staff availability. Please be aware that our appointments may book out 1-2 weeks in advance.
Appointment Office Hours:
- Mon & Fri 9am-5pm
- Tues, Wed, Thurs 9am-6pm
- 1x Sat per month; Jan 21, Feb 25, Apr 15 (no March date due to an event) from 11am-3pm
- *Office is closed on holiday observances Jan 16 and Feb 20 as well as Career Services’ annual Career Expo March 28th & 29th 2023
New Appointment Scheduling Platform
The CSC now uses Penji for appointment scheduling along with The Writing Center and Academic Success Center (tutoring). All NSC students already have an account through their NSHE ID. If you prefer to make appointments on your cell phone, Penji also has an app that is free to download on Google Play or Apple Store! Click here for student user Penji FAQs.
Appointment Attendance Policy
The CSC does have an attendance policy for appointments. If you have an appointment but need to reschedule or cancel, call our office at (702) 992-2611 or email firstname.lastname@example.org before the appointment has started if possible.
When utilizing CSC services and attending events hosted by CSC, students are expected to:
- Understand that career advising is reciprocal; you get out what you put in.
- Understand that Career Advisors cannot make decisions for you. They can provide guidance on career-related choices, but it is ultimately up to you to make decisions regarding your career journey.
- Understand that Career Advisors are not here to “make” any materials for you. They provide instruction and guidance on how to construct resumes, cover letters, reference pages, and more utilizing best practices, but you are required to create these documents yourself. Asking a Career Advisor to “write your resume for you” is plagiarism.
For many on-demand resources including handouts and worksheets on resumes, cover letters, internships, grad school and more you can navigate to our Outlook Sharepoint. From there, you can view, download and save resources to your own device!
In addition to handouts and worksheets, students also have access to the following virtual platforms at any time:
Interview Practice – Big Interview
Big Interview is an online interview preparation system that combines training and mock interview practice to help improve interview skills and build confidence. To access go to biginterview.nsc.edu. If you are a first time user:
- Click on Register
- Enter your name, email address and password (we suggest using your student email and NSC password)
- Enter organization code: Scorpion1300
- Click Create My Account
- A new page will open and you will click Login then enter the email and password you used to create the account
Online Job Board for College Students – Handshake
Handshake is NSC’s online internship and job board for students. All students already have an account with Handshake! To access go to handshake.nsc.edu.
- To log on, go to handshake.nsc.edu, click NSC Login
- Enter your NSHE ID# and NSC password associated with your student accounts
Major & Career Assessments – Focus2
Focus2 is an online major/career exploration and planning tool. To access go to focus2.nsc.edu. If you are a first time user:
- Click on Register
- Enter your name, email address, a username and password (we suggest using your student email and NSC password)
- Enter access code: Scorpion1300
- When all fields are filled out, click Continue to finish your account registration
Identity-Based Career Resources
Undocumented Students (with or without DACA/TPS)
- DACA & Your Career Opportunities – Frequently Asked Questions (coming soon)
- Income Generation Opportunities
- Securing a Tax ID to Work
First – Generation Students