Back and Bold



Graduates at graduation ceremony

What does Back and Bold mean for you?

  • A dramatic increase in the availability of in-person courses compared to the Fall 2021 semester.
  • More in-person events and group activities.
  • A more vibrant campus culture.
  • The full availability of in-person services and academic support centers
  • Engaging online and hybrid options for students who want to take classes or receive support from home.

We’re stronger than ever and ready for a great spring semester. Join us today!





Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 banner


In accordance with State Board of Health guidelines, both Students and Faculty & Staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please click the links below.


Learn about your immunization requirements and how to submit records.

Faculty & Staff

Learn about the vaccine mandate and how to verify your immunization records.



phone showing nevada state safe page on website

State Safe is the official safety app of Nevada State College. The app will send you important safety alerts and provide instant access to many resources.

Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE)

To read the latest updates on COVID-19 by the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE), please visit their website.

Southern Nevada Health District

To read the latest updates on COVID-19 by the Southern Nevada Health District, please visit their website.

State of Nevada

To read the latest updates on COVID-19 by the State of Nevada, please visit their website.


Preventions & Precautions

Personal Health

The Health District continues to remind the public to take steps to protect themselves and others, including those most vulnerable to the impacts of COVID-19. This includes older adults and people who have chronic medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease.

• Stay home when you are sick.

• Put distance between yourself and others. Keep at least 6 feet between you and other people. Stay home as much as possible. Avoid shaking hands.

• Do not go to the emergency department unless it is essential. Emergency departments need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs.

o If you have a mild cough, fever, or other respiratory symptoms, contact your doctor first.

• Practice everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:

o Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
o Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
o Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
o Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

Stay informed. The COVID-19 situation is changing frequently. Up-to-date information is available on the Health District website at or the CDC website at

Campus Environment

Added Cleaning

Facilities staff has increased cleaning frequency and intensity on the most vulnerable spaces and surfaces, including restrooms, conference rooms, and public spaces. Sanitization continues on regular touch points, such as on handrails, building entrances, and elevators. Hand sanitizing dispensers have been installed at entrances of each building and in all highly populated areas. Building ventilation systems have been adjusted to maximize the amount of outside air and continuously “flush” the building’s air.

If there are specific areas that you notice or desire to have cleaned, please call Facilities at (702) 992-2200 or submit requests and questions by e-mail to

Shuttle Services

The Campus Commuter and Scorpion Shuttle service have suspended operations until further notice.


Health Resources

Students — CARE Team

The CARE Team is committed to maintaining a safe and secure learning environment at Nevada State College by addressing the physical and psychological issues that impact students, faculty and staff in the pursuit of the educational process. If you need support/guidance, contact the Case Manager, Laura Hinojosa at (702) 992-2514.


For NSC employees, ComPsych is available for counseling services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at no cost. Employees can schedule an appointment by calling (833) 475-1008, TTY: (800) 697-0353). Or visit and register using Organization Web ID: NSCEAP.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — CDC

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has an informational website that can help answer frequently asked questions, such as what are the symptoms, prevention and treatment, and travel restrictions. It also includes situation updates and information for communities, schools, businesses, and health care professionals.


Internet Access

As we continue with remote learning, access to a reliable internet connection is crucial.  If you might be struggling to obtain Internet service, here is a guide to plans available for low and fixed income households:

Guide to Internet Plans for Low and Fixed Income Households


Additionally, both the Clark County and Henderson Library districts offer free Wi-Fi access as well as laptops and wireless hotspots available for checkout:

Clark County Library District – Wi-Fi access

Clark County Library District – Equipment Checkout

Henderson Libraries – Wi-Fi access

Henderson Libraries – Hotspot Checkout


Checkout equipment is also available through Nevada State College:

Marydean Martin Library – offers a variety of devices available for 2 week checkout

Information & Technology Services – offers laptops and wireless hotspots available for semester long checkout



Why is NSC requiring vaccines for all students?

The Nevada Board of Health voted to require COVID vaccination for all NSHE students taking in-person classes in Spring 2022. As part of NSHE, Nevada State is covered by this mandate. In addition, vaccinations are the fastest, most effective way to protect our campus community and allow us to return to more normal operations. 

Can I request a vaccine exemption?

Yes. You can request an exemption for medical or religious reasons.  You can also request an exemption because you plan to take all online classes in the spring. We are currently waiting on the required forms to request these exemptions. When those forms are available, we will distribute instructions on how to access them.   

I do not feel comfortable getting vaccinated because of my beliefs, but I want to be able to enroll. What do I do?

You must have a sincerely held religious belief that prohibits vaccination.  You may complete a religious exemption from  

If I am granted an exemption, will I need to get tested each week?

The NSHE system intends to require weekly Covid testing for any student who receives a vaccination exception. Once we receive an official confirmation, we will make the information available on our website.

What happens if I can’t get fully vaccinated by November 1st?

You will not be removed from your Fall 2021 courses if you are not fully vaccinated by Nov. 1.  However, you will not be able to enroll for Spring 2022 classes until you are fully vaccinated. Once you submit proof of vaccination, the hold on your account will be lifted and you will be able to enroll. However, some classes may have filled, so we urge you to get vaccinated right away so you can enroll on time.

How do I show proof of a vaccine?

You will upload proof of your vaccination by following the instructions at Once we have approved your proof, we will lift the hold on your account so you can enroll for Spring 2022.

If I take all my classes online, will I need to get vaccinated?

You will have the option to request an exemption if you plan on taking all online classes in spring 2022. For the safety of our community, we urge you to get vaccinated even if you plan to take online classes. Doing so will also make in-person campus services available to you. 

Will student workers still be able to come to campus to work?

In accordance with Governor Sisolak’s memo dated Friday, July 30, 2021 and titled Nevada State Employee COVID-19 Masking and Testing Policy, all State employees including student workers are required to have proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo weekly testing until such time that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is received in the NSC Human Resources Office.   

NSC is working in collaboration with NSHE to develop protocols related to the State’s testing policy. These protocols will include details regarding testing days, testing sites, and procedures for providing proof of test and will be shared as the protocols become available. 

Will students still attend clinicals, practicums, and labs?

Students should contact the appropriate department in the School of Education, School of Nursing, or School of Liberal Arts & Sciences.

I have lost my job and am on a payment plan, will you drop me out of class?

No, we will not drop you out of classes for a past due installment plan. Please email us at so we can discuss options. 

Will my VA benefits change in the absence of having at least one “on-campus, in person” course?

Any in-person courses that are moved to on-line or hybrid course will still be certified as a in person course when using VA benefits.

My in-person class got moved online. Can I still come to campus?

Yes! The campus is open, including the library, the cafe, and our beautiful new Glenn and Ande Christenson School of Education Building. Although many classes have moved online, you can still use all the campus resources, find quiet places to study, or spend time with friends.

Will students be able to submit titers showing COVID-19 immunity as an alternative to the vaccine?

The FDA has not approved and does not recommend the use of titers to show COVID immunity. Although an antibody/titer test helps to identify people who may have had COVID-19 or the vaccine, we do not yet know the level of protection. With other titers, scientists have conducted research over decades to be able to interpret antibody values. We don’t yet know what those values mean for COVID-19. COVID antibody values may be misinterpreted until scientists know more. 

Will a student who does not receive the vaccine get a refund for their tuition expenses if they are not able to finish their degree due to this mandate?

A student who does not provide proof of vaccination will not be able to register so students will not be charged. Students will not receive a refund for completed courses. 

Are students able to complete our degree online if we do not receive the vaccination?

It depends on your major and course offerings.  We plan on offering many classes online, but in-person courses may be required for your major. 

Will employees be able to telework?

All NSC departments have developed and submitted work plans for the fall 2021 semester which outline work location expectations.  Employees will need to work with their supervisor to determine the specific expectations for their position.   Supervisors may permit an employee to work remotely but telework/remote work is not guaranteed for each position. 

Will Administrative Leave be provided for COVID-19 illnesses and quarantine?

Vaccinated employees that are confirmed positive for COVID-19 and are required to quarantine or self-isolate are eligible to use Administrative Leave with Pay. Approval for Administrative Leave with Pay time off duration should be based on current CDC quarantine guidance.   

Unvaccinated employees that are confirmed positive for COVID-19 or are required to quarantine or self-isolate due to COVID-19 exposure must use their sick, annual or compensatory time off. If employees do not have time off available they will be in an unpaid status. Time off approval duration should be based on current CDC quarantine guidance.  

Employees that are unvaccinated due a medical condition that limits their ability to be vaccinated may use Administrative Leave with Pay if they can provide a doctors affirmation of having a medical condition that prevents vaccination. If unable to provide supporting documentation the employee will be required to use sick, annual or compensatory time off. If the employee does not have time off available they will be in an unpaid status. Time off duration should be based on current CDC quarantine guidance.  

Remote work may be available for employees that test positive for COVID-19 or are required to quarantine or self-isolate due to COVID-19 exposure. Authorization of temporary remote work is at the discretion of the department. The duration of remote work authorized should be based on current CDC quarantine guidance.  

View CDC guidance on isolation, quarantine, and testing for people who are fully vaccinated or for people who are not fully vaccinated. 

Can I donate items to the food pantry? Can I receive items from the food pantry?

Yes. Contact to find out how to donate or receive food from the food pantry.  

If I am signed up for a hybrid course, how can I request to take it fully online?

If you are at elevated risk for COVID-19 (as defined by the CDC) or have a family member at home who has an elevated risk, you should put together an all online course schedule for fall 2020. However, if you absolutely need a hybrid course to progress through your major, or for graduation, you can complete this form by August 1st to request a fully online exception for your hybrid classes. Where possible, we will try to offer you alternatives to courses with an in-person component. However, we will not be able to offer this option for all classes.

Do I need to wear a mask on campus?

Yes. If you are on campus, you must wear a face covering that covers your nose and mouth. If you forget your face covering, we will have disposable masks available on campus at the RSC and Raker Welcome Desks.

Will there be in-person events?

Absolutely. We’re still planning some in-person gatherings as part of this transitional semester. Take a look at for an updated list of both in-person and virtual events.

Will in-person classes be full? What social distancing is in place?

Some in-person classes may be filled to room capacity. We currently ask that students maintain social distancing where is possible, but there are no distancing requirements in the classrooms.



Nevada State College

Our students, faculty, and staff are important to us. The Office of the President is available to answer any questions or concerns. Please call (702) 992-2000.

Southern Nevada Health District

The Health District has activated its information line to assist the public in getting their questions answered about the COVID-19. The public can call (702) 759-INFO (4636) for more information.